Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Who Do You Think You Are?

Hello.....Are you interested in family research?  You should be - there's nothing more exciting than uncovering stories about your ancestors from hundreds of years ago.  But like most people who have a job and lots of responsibilities, my time to research is limited, and I don't want to spend the money for an ancestry.com membership. 

I get motivated from time to time, and do a lot of research over a couple of months, then I go to something else.  Lately I have been motivated by the television show Who Do You Think You Are.  Each week a celebrity researches someone in his/her family heretofore forgotten.  What follows from their research is sometimes horrifying, astounding, or joyful, but always fulfilling.  This season we have seen Tug McGraw, Rosie O'Donnell, Lionel Richey and Kim Cattrall go back in history, with shows featuring Steve Buschemi and Gwyneth Paltrow still to come.  It's a terrific show, sponsored, of course, by ancestry.com.

If you're interested, you should try http://www.familysearch.org/.  This is the free LDS site, and it's truly amazing - full of information and resources.  You can research right in your own home and connect with others who are researching your ancestors.

I've been looking for my deceased grandmother's parents for years, and have at least put a chip in the brick wall by finally learning her father's initials (W.N. Nash).  She was an orphan, and it's often extremely difficult to make progress in those situations.

Anyway, I hope you get the research bug - it's a lot of fun....Kind of like hunting Easter eggs!

3 comments:

  1. yoy are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I have been trying to fill out the family tree in my bible and have been hitting road blocks. It seems that the only people who knew anything about my family are now deceased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so interesting , thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete