Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How About Drying Some Apples?

A friend of mine opened up a package of dried apples at a recent meeting.  I know that apples are great for you, but they are hard to carry around and even more difficult to chomp on during a day-long meeting at work. Linda's apple chips had absolutely no ingredients except for the apple and a little lemon juice.  This is as good as eating an apple and much handier.  It got me thinking about drying some apples myself, and I'm planning on trying it in the next few days.  I have a dehydrator, but I may choose to just use the oven. 

In case you are interested in trying this for yourself, here are instructions for drying apples in an oven....

Tart apples hold their shape better than sweet ones.  I hear that Granny Smiths are excellent for drying.

While you peel, core and slice your apples, you will want to rest the slices in a bowl of water with some lemon juice or Fruit Fresh to keep them from turning brown.  The packaged apple chips that I saw had not been peeled, so I guess you can just leave the peel on if you want.  Slice the apples VERY thin and place them on a cookie sheet.  

Cook them at a low temperature, about 250 degrees, for 45 minutes or until crisp.  Store in a container in a dry place.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment