Monday, November 22, 2010

The Monday Recipe Blog

I recently came across a treasure trove of recipes.  My friend's mom, a wonderful cook, died several years ago leaving, among other things, a recipe box packed with, what else?, her recipes.  From the 1950's to the 1990's, these recipes, all written neatly or typed on the traditional cards, will make your mouth water.

Ever hear of egg white cookies?  How about Lebkucken?  Popcorn cake?

For the foreseeable future I will be raiding the recipe box and posting these terrific recipes right here on Mondays.  She specialized in cookies and according to her children, would make several kinds of special cookies whenever the holidays rolled around.  I'm planning to try her renowned Springerle soon.  I have her wooden Springerle press and her little rolling wheel to cut them.  Never mind that I had never heard of Springerle cookies before - I'll research it and find out the origins, then report back to you.

For today, I'll post her recipe for shrimp cocktail sauce.  I've always wondered what was in that stuff, even though I don't like shrimp.  Now I know.  It's simple and fast, but I promise that more elaborate recipes are coming.

So, when you read these terrific recipes over the next few months, please give a few thoughts to the lady who worked every day to make life wonderful for her husband and three children.  Here's to you, Lois Elaine Mueller!

Lois Elaine's Shrimp Cocktail Sauce:

1/3 c. catsup
1/9 (that's what it says) c. horseradish
1/2 t. Worchestershire sauce

Mix together and you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment