Hello - hope you are having a great Wednesday! We're heading downhill to the weekend, thankfully.
It's been awhile since we had some around-the-house hints, so here are a few - I hope you will be able to use some of them.....
1. Cottage cheese will stay fresh longer if you turn it upside-down in the fridge.
2. Crisp up limp celery by dunking it in ice water for a few minutes.
3. A pinch of salt with the coffee in the coffee-maker basket will make it taste less acidic.
4. Freeze cookie dough by shaping into cookie-sized pieces and placing on a cookie sheet as though you were going to bake them. Instead, put the sheet into the freezer until dough is solid, then transfer them to a freezer zip-lock type bag and store in the freezer until ready to bake.
5. Give your cake frosting that glossy, smooth look of a professional baker by applying frosting as you usually do, then running hot water over a metal spatula and run it over the cake.
6. Soften hardened brown sugar in a microwave, or use a cheese grater on it.
7. Your baking soda and baking powder can get stale and no longer be active. To test, put a teaspoon of baking powder in a half cup of water - it should fizz immediately if not stale. To test baking soda, add 1/4 t. soda to 2 t. vinegar. It should fizz immediately if active.