Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Time to Apply The Sunscreen

It's starting to get hot out there!  Don't forget your sunscreen - your health may depend on it.  In Oklahoma we can have pretty hot days in the summer, although nothing like some other states.  It doesn't really matter, though, you can get skin cancer from the sun anywhere in the world.  We all need the sun, but not too much of it.  Since we get outside during the summer, we have sunscreen to protect our vunerable skin.

I like waterproof sunscreen.  It seems to last forever, and I don't have to worry about reapplying if my kayak tips over and I take an unexpected dip.  But if I take a nice, long swim I have to reapply. 

You should choose at least an SPF-15 sunscreen.  The higher the SPF number, the more protection you have against UV-B cancer-causing rays.  I have blue eyes and light hair, so I use an SPF-30.  There are also sunscreens available for people with sensitive skin or oily skin.

Choose a sunscreen that blocks both UV-A and UV-B rays.  UV-A rays cause wrinkles and UV-B rays cause cancer.  You want to steer close of both of those!

And please be smart and never use artificial tanning beds....

So lather on the sunscreen, get out there and have some fun in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment