I thought it might be a good time to run a series of three posts dealing with earthquakes - the first one deals with what to do before a quake hits, the second - what to do during a quake, and the third, today, - what to do after the quake.
So, here we go....Part III:
After The Quake:
1. Check for injuries and provide first aid if necessary.
2. Do a safety check: check for gas, water, downed power lines and shortages. Turn off appropriate utilities, if you shut off the main gas valve do not turn it back on yourself. Wait for the gas company to check for leaks and make repairs.
3. Turn on the radio and listen for instructions on safety or recovery actions.
4. Use the telephone for emergencies only.
5. When safe, follow your family emergency plan.
6. Be cautious when opening cabinets.
7. Stay away from damaged areas.
8. Be prepared for aftershocks.