Monday, August 10, 2009

Is Happiness Genetic or a Learned Behavior?

There are some that put forth the idea that we are born happy or sad, and without some recognition and steps to change ourselves, this will be our lot in life. That could be. I consider myself content and happy almost all of the time, and even my baby pictures show me laughing or smiling in nearly every snapshot. I don't remember an extended period of sadness or depression in any part of my history.

But is this genetic, or the result of an outrageously idealic and happy childhood? I think I will lay my positive outlook at the feet of my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and almost everyone else I came into contact with. Growing up in terrific circumstances with great people has to count for something, right? Maybe it counts for everything.

What about you? Did you grow up in challenging circumstances, yet kept your sunny outlook on life? Did you have a wonderful childhood, only to walk around with a cloud over your head and a scowl on your face? Can you shed some light on this question?

No comments:

Post a Comment